[Discuss] Server Room Power

One question I have is in planning. One day we received a shipment of
about 5 or 6 Intel systems from out Toronto office. We ordered a rack,
switch, and a rack KVM. We initially plugged everything in to a wall
outlet. ran fine until it tripped a breaker, and the breaker box was not
in the computer room, but somewhere else on the floor where we had to
call building management. All I knew that the wall outlets were NEMA
5-20. The solution at that time was to take the two 6U monsters and plug
them in to separate outlets in the ceiling. This worked for quite a
while until my boss brought in a system he had at home (another 4U Intel
whitebox). At that time I had a rack power strip, and the power strip
popped a breaker, but the wall circuit was fine. I then bought another
strip to split the load. before all that I estimated our power usage by
adding up the wattage on the power supplies (each was about 700W). Each
wall outlet also went to a separate breaker. It was at this point when
we were getting the HP ESX box and IT somewhat dictated that we get 2
240V outlets). Right now I am pulling about 15A (7 on one, 8 on the
other). But, the critical factor is at takeoff, or when starting all the
systems, such as after a power fail. You've got all your systems
spinning up drives and fans. This is what we need to plan. So, I would
need a rule of thumb that I can take the wattage of each power supply
and figure out my maximum amps. Had I performed that calculation
initially, I would have had fewer outages. I can't help when a truck,
bus, or tree takes out the entire Riverside T station and us :-)

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix