[Discuss] open protocols for IP-TV

Dan Ritter wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> The glaring obvious
>> absence here is an open protocol for IP-TV.
>
> Yeah, we have that. It's called DVB-IPTV.

I see.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-IPTV

Is this the IPTV protocol that MythTV supports? (I know it has had
experimental support for an IPTV "tuner" type for a long time.)

According to:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVB-IPTV

MythTV has partial support.

I see there are other open source projects that support it:
http://mumudvb.braice.net/mumudrupal/

http://www.netup.tv/en-EN/iptv_pc_client.php (Windows, Linux, and
Android clients)

And China is producing set top boxes that might support this:
http://leddream.en.alibaba.com/product/497408433-212784089/IPTV_Android_2_3_with_DVB_T_HDD_Player.html

> ...you can easily do it yourself inside your house.

What would be the benefit in doing that?

The real win is if content creators/distributors adopt it.

Although it may be an applicable protocol for the HDHR to use. The
MuMuDVB page above links to this network tuner that uses it:
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tuner/netstreamdtt/product1.en.html

> US TV providers have no incentive to use it, when they can charge
> you for permanent rental on set-top boxes, enforce weird
> (profitable) channel blocks, and otherwise maintain their
> monopolies.

Yeah, but you're talking about cable companies and networks that
currently depend upon them for distribution. It's a given they won't
support anything that threatens their existing business model.

The point is to create infrastructure to let new providers thrive who
aren't tied to that old model.

If DVB-IPTV works, then the next step is to get clients widely deployed,
and a directory to promote the available content.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA