[Discuss] open protocols for IP-TV

Rich Braun wrote:
> Jarod Wilson:
>> MythTV is still actively being
>> developed, its just not moving at break-neck pace these days.
>
> It needs to be.
>
>> That said, I'm actually thinking about not using MythTV anymore. For
>> one, most of what the kids watch anymore is Netflix.
>
> That's why:  the whole way people use TV sets is getting ripped out and
> rearranged in fundamental ways.  MythTV simply isn't keeping up.

I agree completely. Though this isn't justification for dumping your
DVR. Just the front-end.

> In order to have a user-friendly front end, it has to be able to pull
> online content from a variety of sources (Hulu, Netflix, Youtube,
> plus whatever else got invented in the past 15 minutes) and convert
> it into a unified look and feel to match the familar PVR and
> DVD/BluRay content that most people have.
>
> My overall point is that these open-standard UI systems like MythTV
> *ARE* dead unless a more aggressive posture is taken.

I agree.

The streaming video model is evolving from using either full-custom
clients (on desktops and appliances), or web UIs with plugin-in
dependencies, to an app model. If Google wins, every video source is
going to need to provide its own Android app to run on your Google TV.

I've been surprised to see the open source communities and projects tied
to television sitting on the sidelines in this area. The glaring obvious
absence here is an open protocol for IP-TV. One ought to be able to
create a single generic IP-TV client and have access to thousands of
diverse video sources.

By analogy, the model we have now would be like if the web in 1995
required every web site to develop and provide their own web browser.

I get why companies like Hulu and Netflix have no interest in this. They
like customer lock-in, and they're OK with taking the time to negotiate
with every hardware vendor to get their custom client installed.

Plus, of course, there is the DRM issue. Though an open protocol doesn't
preclude supporting codecs that incorporate DRM.

In order for small original content creators to thrive, we need an open
model with low barriers to entry. We also need a public directory of
available content (TV guide) (with its own protocol and client).

And the best way to break free of the old-world TV model that the
existing studios, networks, and cable companies are clinging to is to
reduce barriers for the new upstarts to reach our living rooms.

> Suppose I wanted to go off and write such a thing from the ground up.
> What would stand in the way of creating a new open-source project to
> accomplish exactly that?

Likely patents (covering the codecs) and the usual uphill battle to
convince enough content providers and users to use the protocol so you
achieve critical mass.

(In the context of your original question - creating an open source DVR
with integrated Netflix/Hulu support - licensing and DRM. A sort of
pointless endeavor. The best bet is to create a big enough audience
using open clients that the commercial content providers will be
compelled to support the format.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro