[Discuss] kernel.org

> From: Jon Masters [mailto:jonathan at jonmasters.org]
>
> > Kernel.org has been down for like 3 weeks.
>
> It's back up now (well, the main archive).

Whew, thank goodness.  Now I'll see if I can get to the btrfs mailing list.  ;-)

> > I know there was a security
> > breach, but by not getting it back up, they're basically acknowledging they
> > have no clue how it happened, and fear even with their best defenses up,
> > it's just going to be hacked again.
>
> Really? To me, it actually says that John (a personal friend), and Peter
> (another personal friend) have been working day and night for weeks to
> bring back a very complex set of services and overhaul the security
> process at the same time. I know that law enforcement are involved, and
> I'm sure they're not getting enough sleep. Let's give the benefit of the
> doubt. It's not great that it's been down so long, but with only one
> full time person supporting all that stuff, who could do any better?

Nothing against John or Peter, but there's such a thing as change management.  If it was easy to put it back up quickly and safely, but it needs to be overhauled to enhance functionality, then the thing to do is put it back up quickly, and plan the overhaul in such a way that it doesn't entail a month of downtime.

Well, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...  When I google for btrfs, it brings me to the now-unused http://oss.oracle.com/projects/btrfs/