[Discuss] more on software patent

While I don't have a ton of a background in this whole Patent thing, I have
been reading this thread and trying to form my own opinions and gain
knowledge. I decided to read the article that Matt posted and in doing so I
stumbled upon one of the patents that the company is claiming has been
infringed on.  I found it so interesting because some things look like they
are just thrown in there for added benefit of blocking other people.

US5546397 - (Abstract)

A high reliability access point for RF communications in a wireless local
area network. The high reliability access point includes a central
processing unit (CPU) for handling high level protocol functions and for
interfacing with the infrastructure of the local area network. The high
reliability access point also includes at least two wireless adapters. Each
wireless adapter includes a radio, a media access control (MAC) processor
for handling low level protocol functions, and at least one antenna. The
multiple wireless adapters allow the access point to perform self
monitoring, reduce the effects of multipath interference, reduce some
occurrences of collisions at the access point and provide infrastructure
backup in the event of an infrastructure failure. The access points also
allow for wireless network infrastructure communication for connection of
one or more remote access points to the infrastructure. *A backup power
supply for the access point is also shown.

*-------

The last sentence is what I found so interesting.  From everything I have
read, if someone designed a similar item but included a backup power supply
then they would be infringing because that is patented.

To prove infringement, the patent owner must establish that the accused
party practices all the requirements of at least one of the claims of the
patent. (This is from wikipedia)

You essentially can't have an access point with a backup power supply
because this patent holds that.  This is my understanding of how patents are
used to block other people.  Find one small thing that is similar or the
same and say "No you can't use it or pay me money".  It literally looks as
if someone was standing over the shoulder of the person writing the patent
and said "Oh put that in there so you can hold the patent for it".

It was always my understanding that a part of innovation was to build off
the ideas of other people.  To take what they created and make it better.

If what I am saying is totally wrong then just delete this email.. but if
what I understand patents to be and how they work correct then how is anyone
supposed to be inventive with out the penalty of cost?

If a program's algorithms are able to be patented, then software is in
trouble (from what I read it sounds like it already is). What if HTML code
were to be patented.  You wouldn't be able to use head or title tags with
out a fee?

Please let me know if I am stating things here that are correct in theory.

Thanks,

Kyle  (Trying to learn about Software Patents)