[Discuss] GIT question

On 10/03/2011 11:30 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Edward Ned Harvey <blu at nedharvey.com
> <mailto:blu at nedharvey.com>> wrote:
>
>     > From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org
>     <mailto:nedharvey.com at blu.org> [mailto:discuss- <mailto:discuss->
>     > bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org
>     <mailto:nedharvey.com at blu.org>] On Behalf Of Jerry Feldman
>     >
>     > I currently have a bare git repository as well as a populated git
>     > repository. What I would like to do is to create a partial
>     repository
>     > that contains a subset.
>     > In the main repo, I have a.c, b.c, c.c, d.c. e.c
>     > But I just want to create another repo containing only a.c, b.c
>     and c.c
>     > for development purposes.
>

> Jerry,
>
> It sound like you just want to make a branch, not a whole different
> repository.
>
> With a branch you can easily merge changes to b.c among the different
> branches, and you can easily switch branches to try out the code that
> doesn't have d.c
>
>     > ---------
>     > Another solution is to split the master repo into the stuff that is
>     > under development, and the stuff that is unrelated from a project
>     > standpoint so it is probably better to create a second master
>     bare repo,
>     > then remove the objects that do not apply to the project in one, and
>     > remove the project objects in the other.
>

> Again it sounds like a branch strategy might help.
>
> git branch -a
> * master [1]
> kitchen_sink [2]
>

> [1] code that does stuff.  The asterisk indicates it's the branch
> you're on in your working tree
> [2] master plus miscellaneous stuff that isn't actually part of the
> product/project

While I think branches and/or tags would be fine, the reason for
splitting the repo is that I have a bunch of scripts that are used with
one of our products. It was initially a hack but became a product. It
should of had its own repo in the first place. The other things are just
system scripts used to perform some routine tasks and are totally
unrelated. The main reason for splitting the repo is that I am going to
set up a separate sandbox for development, test, and production. When I
originally set up the repo I had no experience with git. Essentially the
dev repo would be in my home directory, the test would be in someone
else's home. Since git is a distributed system, it fits into this schema
where CVS and SVN are more centralized.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix