[Discuss] BMC Alerts

We have several new Tyan systems with ipmi compatible remote control
modules called "bmc"s. We can use them to turn the systems on and off, and
monitor fans and temperatures and do other things via a web browser.

But the BMCs also have "alerts" and the CMOS setup menu shows alerts
numbered 1 through 15 that can be enabled or disabled, but with no
indication of what would trigger any particular alert if it were enabled.

I suppose I would want to be alerted if the machine hung, or overheated,
but how would I instruct the bmc to do that? Do different maladies have
well-known asigned numbers? Or are alerts passed from the OS (in which
case they are not of much use, since the main thing I would want to be
alerted to is a failure of the OS).

I have the manual for the BMC, but it doesn't cover how alerts are
generated.

   http://www.tyan.com/manuals/S7016_Pilot%202_UG_v100.pdf

Daniel Feenberg