[Discuss] The America Invents Act

> I think you miss the point of patents, most of what is being patented is "obvious" to those skilled in the art, but the patent examiners to do
not have the ability to reject the patent without a legally defensible
reason. I have a friend in the US patent office and he has issues with
patents he has to approve, but doesn't have the ability to disallow
them.

I also think you miss my point.? By filing a patent application and getting it published, your Examiner friend would have citations to reject late comer's claims.? Should the open source community started to file patent applications in the few decades, there would have sufficient number of references to knock out those what you called "obvious" patents.? Unfortunately, the open source community has been playing ostrich and willfully disregarded the facts that, today, they can get a patent application published and serve for prior art purposes for less than $200 of official fee (if less than 100 pages)...? If the open source developer is rich enough to pursue a patent, then he/she is free to grant or donate a non-exclusive license of his/her patent right to the community.? Without having any patent rights handy, the open source community will forever be a victim.?

PS. I think I should better shot up on this thread after this post.? Thanks everyone for reading my nonsenses.

HYC