From: "markw at mohawksoft.com" <markw at mohawksoft.com>
To: Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com>
Cc: discuss at blu.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Discuss] The America Invents Act

There are two things that are needed to improve patents for open source.

(1) A codification that publication prior to patent submission of
algorithms eliminate patentability. I think the AIA explicitly states this
as an exception of first to file.

(2) A recognition that "publication" means publicly available and not only
through noted journals. Sourceforge, github, etc should serve to provide
prior art.