[Discuss] How do rack vendors compare?

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking to install some basic 19" racks in my house/basement to make
> it easier to mount some of my home networking equipment, including about
> 200 wire terminations for ethernet, cable, and phone, and a couple
> computers (e.g. MythTV and such).
>
> Does anyone have any good (or anti-) recommendations for inexpensive
> four-post racks?  Tripp Lite?  Intellinet?
>
> Also, are there any good guides or how-tos where I can learn how to
> lay out my room?
>
> -derek
> --
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

Out of the totally enclosed racks (closets) I've used the APC and HP (yes,
the computer maker) racks and both are very good.  I can't remember which
manufacturer I used to use for open racks.  Pretty much any manufacturer
will do but the biggest thing is quality of the product and has the options
you want (cable runs, square or hole mounting, cooling, etc)

Matthew Shields
Owner
BeanTown Host - Web Hosting, Domain Names, Dedicated Servers, Colocation,
Managed Services
www.beantownhost.com
www.sysadminvalley.com
www.jeeprally.com