[Discuss] Is MythTV dead?

On Sep 4, 2011, at 4:57 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 12:30:17PM -0400, James Kramer wrote:
>> Dan,
>>
>> I am  beginning to get back it to MythTV.  I stopped after the
>> networks switch to HD.  Would you recommend the HDDR over the new
>> Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650?
>>
>> http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10133
>>
>> I know that the HDDR supports an Ethernet connection which does sound
>> nice, if solely for the cost of the cable.  What are some other
>> advantages.  I  am using FIOS, do you know if Verizon blocks many of
>> the copy-freely channels?
>
> Well, the HDHR I'm using is the original; the one comparable to
> a DCR-2650 is the HDHR Prime, which has only been out for a
> month or two.
>
> The difference is that the new devices are CableCard decryptors,
> and have access to more than just whatever your TV company
> offers in unencrypted QAM.
>
> I don't have experience with them, but I'm planning on buying a
> Prime or equivalent in the next few months, and eliminating the
> firewire-connected STB.
>
> I love ethernet-connected devices.
>
> If Jarod shows up, I know he uses VZ Fios and is happy with it.

Just back in town from the west coast. Yes, MythTV, FiOS, works just
fine. I have an original HDHomeRun, several digital tuner cards, an
HD-PVR for recording off my HD cable box, and an analog card that
records off an SD cable box. And yes, MythTV is still actively being
developed, its just not moving at break-neck pace these days.

That said, I'm actually thinking about not using MythTV anymore. For
one, most of what the kids watch anymore is Netflix. And its often
done via iDevices, which is another sore spot -- there's no great
integration between MythTV and iDevices. Yes, it can be done using
export scripts and whatnot to spit out a directory of things that can
be played, but meh. Elgato has an iOS client that has rather slick
integration with their EyeTV DVR software, which I'm intending to go
play with RSN (before the fall season starts...).

--jarod