[Discuss] Photo Manager

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Theodore Ruegsegger <gruntly at gmail.com>wrote:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Theodore Ruegsegger <gruntly at gmail.com> writes:
> >> I've built a web application called Photo Album Manager that manages
> >> all metadata in a PostgreSQL database. Not sure that counts as
> >> lock-in, since it's all free software and it's easy to migrate data
> >> from one RDBMS to another.
> >
> > Okay, why did you do this instead of using something like Gallery2?
> > http://gallery.menalto.com/
>
> Short answer: I started this over a decade ago. Looked at the
> available packages and they didn't meet my needs, especially scale
> (tens of thousands of photos) and searchability. Checked from time to
> time but found that the community seemed to be focused more on pretty
> "skins" than efficient management of large collections. A quick look
> at the Gallery site suggests it's worth another look. I can't find
> anything that looks like a simple walkthrough or tutorial, whence I
> could easily get a clear idea what it does and how it looks; I'd be
> grateful for a pointer to one. Failing that, when I have a chance,
> I'll set it up and try it.
>
> Ah, looking over the Gallery site again, I see a big difference.
> Sharing your photos requires not only a website to host them but that
> that website have PHP and DBMS support to run Gallery. Photo Album
> Manager/PhotoTrove requires a webserver with PHP and PostgreSQL to
> manage photos and assemble albums but the finished albums can be
> uploaded to any website as a static set of HTML pages or simply burned
> to a CD to display on any computer, no website required.
>
> Longer answer:
> Why Another Photo Album Manager?
> http://www.tux.org/~tbr/photoalbummanager/doc/desiderata.html
>
> Regarding tutorials, walkthroughs for Photo Album Manager:
> How to Build and Edit a Photo Set (with screenshots)
> http://www.tux.org/~tbr/photoalbummanager/doc/howtoset.html
>
> User's Manual (with screenshots)
> http://www.tux.org/~tbr/photoalbummanager/doc/usermanual/
>
> The Photo Album Manager is still available and still works fine, but
> if you get serious about using it, let me know and I'll make the
> considerably improved (more features, fewer annoyances) PhotoTrove
> available.
>
> Ted

Also, ffmpeg required if you want to upload video.

Here's an basic example of Gallery that I setup for a friend
http://krazyflake.com/ Skip thru first couple pages to get to Gallery.

Yes, the opening pages are great, and the layout is plain, but this is what
my friend insisted on.

Matthew Shields
Owner
BeanTown Host - Web Hosting, Domain Names, Dedicated Servers, Colocation,
Managed Services
www.beantownhost.com
www.sysadminvalley.com
www.jeeprally.com