[Discuss] Photo Manager

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Doug <sweetser at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Are any photo managers altering tags within the photo file itself? Or
> do any have options so you can keep information within the file or
> not? I am pretty sure iPhoto does not alter the original file, great
> is someways, but also leads to lock in.

I've built a web application called Photo Album Manager that manages
all metadata in a PostgreSQL database. Not sure that counts as
lock-in, since it's all free software and it's easy to migrate data
from one RDBMS to another.

http://www.tux.org/~tbr/photoalbummanager/

Docs here:
http://www.tux.org/~tbr/photoalbummanager/doc/

If it sounds at all like something Kyle (or anyone else) might want, I
should add that I've built a successor to Photo Album Manager, called
PhotoTrove, that does everything it did and a whole lot more, with
greatly enhanced tagging and search capability. The only snag is that
I'm still writing the docs for it and haven't got around to publishing
it yet, although I've been using it daily for a couple of years now.
Rather than fiddle with the old app, I can provide it in the form of a
VirtualBox appliance that will run on any computer that will host
VirtualBox (i.e., anything reasonably modern).

If there's interest, I'll put the VB appliance and instructions on the
website and get going on the documentation, beginning with how it
differs from Photo Album Manager.

Ted Ruegsegger