[Discuss] Is MythTV dead?

Hi,

James Kramer <kramerjm at gmail.com> writes:

> Rich
>
> I was just beginning to get back into Mythtv.  What are the other
> alternatives?  I know that google tv released an emulator.
>
> Jay
> On Sep 1, 2011 8:07 PM, "Rich Braun" <richb at pioneer.ci.net> wrote:
>> For years, MythTV had a twice-annual release schedule for major versions.
>> Every May and November there was always a new release, up until 0.24 which
>> came out 10-Nov-2010. Each version got more stable, until plans were made
>> redesign several things and drop some features from the 0.25 roadmap. That
>> version is now 4 months behind schedule and the mythtv-dev list seems to
> have
>> gone pretty quiet.
>>
>> Has anyone here followed MythTV lately and have any encouraging (or
>> discouraging) news to guide my own decision whether to dump it in favor of
>> something else? I lost a number of capabilities (and some stability) when
>> did the 0.24 upgrade and am concluding that maybe it's time to move on.

I've been monitoring the Myth lists for a while.  There is definitely
still activity going on, both in terms of developer email and git
commits.  No, they haven't made a release in a while, but they also
don't schedule releases ahead of time.  The 0.22 -> 0.23 -> 0.24 6-month
cycle was mostly due to a big push by a few of the developers for a few
big features.  It has not ever been a guarantee of release frequency.
The 0.21 -> 0.22 cycle took over a year, IIRC.

I have faith that there will be a 0.25.  I do not know when it will be
released, but I know it will.

Maybe Jarod will chime in?

Note: I've been using Myth since 0.11 and I currently run 0.22 on FC12
systems.  I've had no reason to upgrade the OS or Myth systems, they
work well.  I'll consider upgrading when I move next month and have to
add a few more frontend boxes.  I only wish I could find the Acer Revo
1600, which made a great frontend box!  I guess there's the AR3700?  I
wish I could find something of that size/capability that also has
firewire.  I guess I've got a little time to keep looking.

>> -rich

-derek