No subject

longterm, it's meant to grab a picture of the contents at a point in time
without having other processes change the files then move it to where you
can do something else with it.  So a perfect example is a backup of MySQL.
 You cannot copy the MySQL files why MySQL is running.  So shutdown MySQL,
take a snapshot, start MySQL, copy the snapshot to wherever you want since
it won't affect the running version, when the copy is done stop MySQL,
release snapshot, start MySQL again, then go over to your other system and
work with that copy you made.

The problem I've seen with LVM is that people are running it with one or two
physical drives and they're complaining about performance problems.  In the
past I've built a database that had a SAN backend (numerous physical
drives), the volume was managed by LVM and the physical drives had enough
spindles to deal with read/write performance even since there was a higher
than normal load.  Think of it this way, without LVM if your drives started
having more IOPS, how do you solve the latency issue?  Add more drives.

Matthew Shields
Owner
BeanTown Host - Web Hosting, Domain Names, Dedicated Servers, Colocation,
Managed Services
www.beantownhost.com
www.sysadminvalley.com
www.jeeprally.com