[Discuss] drop box software

Boy.. do I feel stupid. I had no idea drop box was basically a
repository on steroids. I thought drop box was a service where I could
upload a 20 gigabyte file and send a URL with a password to a friend so
that he could down load that 20G file, thus working around large file
limits in e-mail attachments. I run a subversion server on my home
system which suffices for me to deal with keeping key files in a network
accessible repository. Any time I hear the word cloud, I cringe... What
happened to "The Grid"?

So, let me refraise my question, is there any open source packages which
would allow me to upload a file to a web site (my web site) and have it
password protected and I could then e-mail the URL and password to my
friend. I can do this all by hand, with .htaccess files etc, but I would
prefer a nice web service to do it.

thanks, and sorry for the confusion on my side...