[Discuss] Creating a Wiki server

On Aug 26, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Wikis tend to be quite undemanding until you discover that there are a
> hundred or a hundred thousand times as many people using it as you had
> initially thought.

Pretty much.  A Wiki is a SQL database, a web server, and some PHP code to glue them together.  I have a MediaWiki in a little Xen domain: 512MB RAM, 5GB disk. That's more than enough for my group of 4 people who use it maybe 3 times a week.  The same code base scales up to Wikipedia proportions -- but that uses far more computing resources than my piddling little domain.

On the other hand, mine works with my Kerberos realm :).

--Rich P.