[Discuss] TrueCrypt with SSD

Edward Ned Harvey <blu at nedharvey.com> writes:

>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Derek Atkins
>>
>> Personally I've never encrypted my laptops before, but I started
>> encrypting my current one.  There is definitely a performance hit when
>> doing large data movements (it took me much longer to copy my homedir
>> from my old disk to the new encrypted disk) but I don't notice a
>> significant performance degredation in my everyday usage.
>
> What are you using?  Both in terms of hardware, and encryption tool?
> Because I don't have a performance hit...  In various situations, on various
> types of hardware, using various encryption tools...

Dell Laptop (E6420) using Fedora's default-install dm-crypt
configuration.  The performance hit was in how long it took to copy
~300GB of data from a USB (or eSata) drive.  When I did a similar copy
on an unencrypted ThinkPad it took a fraction of the time that it took
to copy it on the encrypted Dell.  Same Data.  The only differences were
the ThinkPad v. Dell, and encrypted v. non-encrypted.  Even the copy
method was using the same, on the same base OS.

I just dont recall if I had upgraded to 2.6.40 before or after copying
all the data....

-derek