[Discuss] TrueCrypt with SSD

On 08/18/2011 02:18 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
>
>> So, what is a good practice for an employee who has company property
>> that may contain some sensitive data?
>>
> Answer: take it out of the employees' paychecks.  They want/need a portable
> computer to commute or work from home then make them pay for it.  Give them
> a refund only if the hardware is returned in good working order and in good
> physical condition.  If they beat it up, scratch it to hell, crack the
> screen or lose it then they lose their refund.  Put them on the hook from
> the start with a vested interest in the hardware and watch the loss rate go
> down.
In my office everyone other than me takes their laptops home every
night. I do think that if an employee does not return equipment issued
to them when they leave employment, it should be taken out of their pay.
But, in today's environments it does not make sense. Nearly every one of
these employees use their computers outside of normal business hours.
Many travel to client sites. I can't see any reason for the company not
to provide us with laptops. I don't really need one so I could have been
given a desktop, or better still a Linux workstation with a Windows VM.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix