[Discuss] Large DVI monitor

On 8/7/2011 12:02 PM, Glenn Hoffman wrote:
> I use a Mac Pro as my principle coding machine and am looking for a good, large, DVI monitor for it. Any suggestions?

If you want the highest resolution monitor you can get (leaving out the
old IBM ultra-high-definition one that was only 21" and really meant for
medical imaging rather than general use), pretty much any of the 30"
ones are good if you can still find one. That includes Apple's old
Cinema HD Display; they don't make them any more. (They're a victim of
the manufacturing shift from 16:10 panels to 16:9 panels because the
HDTV industry wants the latter aspect ratio.) HP's similar product is
also gone, but Dell still makes one: the Dell UltraSharp U3011. At that
size and price class, nobody makes cheap displays in either sense of the
word. Those displays are 2560x1600.

Moving slightly down in size, the new 27" Apple display is nice but
pricey; it's higher resolution than the usual 24" or smaller display but
doesn't show quite as many pixels as the old Cinema HD. It will consume
a lot less power because of the LED backlight. Make sure not to get the
Thunderbolt Display; that only works with new Macs that have that port.
Dell has a comparable product at the same $1000 price. These are 2560x1440.

Stepping down another notch, there are a few 1920x1200 24" displays
still around, and lots of 1920x1080 displays in all sizes. Paying more
tends to get you wider viewing angles, better color accuracy, faster
pixel response, and/or LED backlighting.

If you want an physically larger display, DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI use
compatible signalling for video. (HDMI can also carry audio.) All you
need is a cable adapter to go from one to the other, and then you can
hook up the HDTV of your choice.

Monitors bigger than 1920x1200 will need a dual-link DVI connection if
they don't have a DisplayPort input (which means pretty much anybody
other than Apple), so make sure to get the dual-link DVI adapter for
your MacBook Pro. (The first message said a Mac Pro which would be a
desktop system but a later one said it was a MacBook Pro.) There are two
versions of the DVI adapter; the dual-link one costs more.

There are also adapters to go from Thunderbolt to DVI, so the monitor
won't be wasted if you later upgrade to a newer Mac.