[Discuss] SAS drives

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 11:09:09AM -0400, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

>>> Can you describe the connector? And is it on the drives, or on a
>>> backplane?
>>
>> In my case the socket on the drive has a bit of plastic that
>> prevents an ordinary SATA cable from plugging in. The drives are
>> Seagates. It does look to me like a cable connector could be
>> constructed that would work in both types of drives, but none of the
>> various SATA cables I have are so constructed.
>
> Oh, OK. Yes, SAS controllers can talk to SAS or SATA drives, but
> SAS drives have a block so that only SAS controllers can talk to
> them.

How effective is this block? It makes you get a special SAS cable to plug
into the drive, but doesn't the controller end of the special cable plug
into either a SAS or SATA controller? After all, the SAS controller port
has to accept either cable, because it always supports both types of
drives.

Dan Feenberg