[Discuss] SAS drives

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 10:05:55AM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Dan Ritter
>>>
>>> This is bizarre. SATA and SAS use the same cabling,
>>
>> Sometimes true, sometimes not.
>> I have a Sun server X4275 which has a mixture of SATA and SAS drives in it.
>> No problem.
>> Later I bought an Oracle server X4270 (yes, the later model has a lower
>> number, go figure.)  It has only SAS drives, and the connector is different.
>
> Can you describe the connector? And is it on the drives, or on a
> backplane?

In my case the socket on the drive has a bit of plastic that prevents an
ordinary SATA cable from plugging in. The drives are Seagates. It does
look to me like a cable connector could be constructed that would work in
both types of drives, but none of the various SATA cables I have are so
constructed.

Dan Feenberg