[Discuss] SAS drives

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Feenberg
>
> Mostly, I'd like to figure out how to build a fast file server for large
> sequential files, and thought this might be a good approach. So far
> not so good.

For large sequential files, it really doesn't matter what you get.  Because
even a small array of cheap SATA drives will max out your bus with serial
IO.  The only time it really makes a difference to reconfigure your array
(mirroring & striping versus raid, and SAS vs SATA vs FC etc, and storage
layering SSD over HDD etc) is when you have random IO, or high availability
requirements.

For the stated purpose, you could use a cheap raid5 of cheap disks, and
you'll be fine.