[Discuss] Dell

Hey Guys,

I have one old Compaq Proliant server, I think it's a ML280 G3 or something.
 It's been working for many years with NO trouble.

I also have 3 Dell servers.  Most of our critical applications work off from
these Dells.  As a result I'm a little more familiar with the Dell servers
than any other brands.  There are a number of things I like about the
servers:
1.  There is a blue LED light on the back of each server that is solid blue
when the server is running well.  The light turns orange if the server
detects a hardware failure.
2.  There is an LCD display that is back lit using the same color scheme on
the front of each server.  This display gives a readout of any hardware
failures that are detected.
3.  For those Windows users among us, there is a neato application called
Dell OpenManage that allows full bios control, error reporting and
configuration that can be accessed via the desktop.

I'm not sure if these features are unique or somewhat standard for servers?

This is my first job where I've been the only administrator of modern
servers.  In the year and a half that I've been working at my current job
I've had only one problem:  A single hard disk went off-line and needed to
be reseated.

I would recommend Dell servers without a hesitation, but it's largely due to
familiarity.

--Chriso