[Discuss] Small Linux server recommendation?

On 07/15/2011 12:48 PM, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> I am looking for a hardware recommendation for a Linux server.  Price under $500 ($300 ideal).  It should be small form factor, have 1-2 gigabit ethernet ports (2 is preferred but not required), 8-16GB RAM.  I have a 64GB SATA SSD I can use for it.  The system will run a web server, email, and a Java or Ruby app server.
>
> What should I be looking at?  Shuttle?  Dell?
The BLU had a Dell server that we bought brand new along with Boston
User Groups. Both servers died. In contrast, Rick Zach has had 2 ancient
HP servers in the same rack that have been running for many years. He
recently decommissioned the mail server, but his web server is still up
and running. Note that both the BLU Dell server and the BUG Dell server
had RAID hardware failures. While Dell does make decent consumer grade
PCs, I still question their servers. The HP ProLiant (eg. Compaq) has a
long history of stability. The DL 380 is a real low end workhorse.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix