[Discuss] power supply for a xeon server

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg at nber.org> wrote:
>>
>> I am assembling a dual processor xeon server, and am mystified by the
>> power connections on the motherboard (ASUS Z*PE-D18). There is a 24 pin
>> connector, and 2 8 pin connectors. The power supply is a Corsair HX1000W
>> (which is supposed to work with this motherboard according to some) and it
>> has several connectors that are 6+2 pins and labeled PCI-E. They don't
>> seem to fit. Should they? I don't see any 8 pin connectors. Did I buy the
>> wrong power supply?
>
> Personally, I would look at the motherboard manual and see what it says.
> Assuming you typoed the model number, you can download it here:
>
> http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/Z8PED18/

That is the board, but there is no information about what power supply to
use. The QVL mentions memory and OS, but not PS. The "Specifications" tab
doesn't mention PS.

I did find 1 8 pin connector that was unlabeled on the power supply. I
suppose I do need 2 if the motherboard supports to connectors, though.