[Discuss] Good hosting service for web application

A second vote for Linode. The accounts have generous bandwidth, as
well. There's several options for backup, recovery (think of booting a
LiveCD on your machine), and out-of-band shell accounts ("LISH" the
Linode shell).

I run a stock CentOS install with my own custom software on top. You
have complete control within the VM, so you can build your own custom
stuff, do non-standard things, ssh, rsync, do things as root, etc.

I host a half-dozen low-traffic domains and barely lift the needle off
the bottom peg. Been up for over a year with only a couple brief
downtimes, documented by the staff mostly as network glitches.

Recommended!