[Discuss] Good hosting service for web application

Glenn Hoffman wrote:
> I have a client for whom I have created a LAMP application running on a Linux box in their office. The machine has intermittent hardware problems and we'd like to replace it with a hosting service. Besides Apache, PHP and MySQL, I need Subversion and some facility for controlling access. Does anyone have a recommendation for an outfit that would provide this?

Take a look at linode.com, too. For $20 a month you get a "whole" (Xen
virtualized) Linux box. Pick from a list of cities for what server
warehouse you want to live in. Pick from a list of distributions, set up
everything exactly the way you want. Apply your own OS updates, etc. You
might a server with more value add, but you if already built the server
out of software parts...

I've had http://www.borg.org there for a few months and it works.

-kb

P.S. Rant: Just because you control your server with something like
Linode, you should still not recycle passwords between that box and
others. You will never lay eyes on the hardware that is running your
server...you don't *really* control it. Don't ssh out of it to any
account/box that is supposed to be as secure or more secure. Write down
your passwords. End of rant.