[Discuss] How do you deal with domain transfer problems?

On 06/17/2011 07:37 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
>> I have tried transferring the domain name agilenewengland.org from
>> GoDaddy (www.godaddy.com) to HostGator (www.hostgtor.com) at least 10
>> times in the past few months. Every time I get an email back from
>> HostGator saying "agilenewengland.org Canceled - Invalid
>> EPP/authorization key...
>
> Did you get this resolved?
>
> Today I ran across:
> https://www.hover.com/pricing
>
> which at $15/year per domain is a bit more than typical, but it includes
> a "valet" service where you call them up and they take care of all the
> details for a transfer.
>
> They also have specific guides for dealing with all the major registrars:
> http://help.hover.com/tutorials/hover/manual/927/

Not yet, but possibly.  The problem with transferring it to someone else
then transferring it to HostGator, as I found out, is that there appears
to be a rule that once you transfer a domain you can't transfer it again
for 60 days.  Not sure if that's an ICANN rule or just accepted
practice, but I can see why they would do that.

However, HostGator is moving to a new registrar system that they will
themselves run (the old one was a really being run by a third party).
I've already transferred two domains over to HostGator using the new
system.  It's only in soft rollout though.  I figure I'll wait another
week or so then try the problem domain.

The problem domain is, of course, our main domain, so I can't afford
problems with it.

Thanks for the lead on Hover, though.