[Discuss] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] [SPAM] Re: Distribution that tests printing

On 06/04/2011 12:04 PM, Laura Conrad wrote:

> That sounded like a plausible solution, so I downloaded a Debian Stable
> live CD and tried printing my book.  From the command line (lpr
> filename.pdf), it causes the printer light to blink yellow for a while
> and then gives up without printing anything.
>
> There's hand-waving in that last paragraph -- it was by no means simple
> to configure the printer and get the file, because the cursor was
> invisible.
>
> So I think I may just bring the laptop with 10.04 installed upstairs
> next to the printer and do my printing from there.  Either that or
> investigate different ghostscript versions on the desktop.

When running the Debian Live image, make sure that it has configured the
printer properly.  I bought an HP DeskJet 16xx printer not too long ago
and discovered the hplip PPD for the 1600, would not work with it -
nothing printed.  This exhibited the same behavior as you have described.

The hpcups PPD for the 1600 technically, worked, however the colors were
mixing at the footers of each page, so I tested out other PPD files,
eventually found one that worked, but this required a change to the the
settings in the Firefox/SeaMonkey/Thunderbird preferences to move the
bottom margin up a little bit.