[Discuss] [SPAM] Re: Distribution that tests printing

    >> It's a Brother 5250DN, and ever since I've gotten it I marvel at how
    >> well the duplexing works, and how easy connecting all the computers in
    >> the house is.

    Dan> I have that printer, and it works very well with stable Debian.
    Dan> No issues except on a machine that intermittently drops WiFi,
    Dan> where re-establishing the connection and restarting cupsd solves
    Dan> it.

That sounded like a plausible solution, so I downloaded a Debian Stable
live CD and tried printing my book.  From the command line (lpr
filename.pdf), it causes the printer light to blink yellow for a while
and then gives up without printing anything.

There's hand-waving in that last paragraph -- it was by no means simple
to configure the printer and get the file, because the cursor was
invisible.

So I think I may just bring the laptop with 10.04 installed upstairs
next to the printer and do my printing from there.  Either that or
investigate different ghostscript versions on the desktop.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

When people talk about "write what you know" instead of writing SF, I
always say that the one thing we're all qualified to write is the
story of being thirteen years old and surrounded by aliens.

Jo Walton in her review of "Survivor" by Octavia Butler on the Tor Blog