[Discuss] Distribution that tests printing

    Jack> For moderate duty printing, printing directly to a network
    Jack> attached printer is pretty awesome.

When it works, yes.

It's a Brother 5250DN, and ever since I've gotten it I marvel at how
well the duplexing works, and how easy connecting all the computers in
the house is.

But since the "upgrade", I've been having files that won't print at all
and files that print some and then stop.  All without leaving any
messages in any log I can find.  The particular file that was being
problematic when I wrote the original message was an 8-page update to
the "book", and it was printing 7 of the pages.

The printing some and then stopping isn't new, but the "book" I'm
working on (about 120 pages) used to print in 2 pieces, and now takes
too many to bother with (at least 4 or 5).

I'm sure it's the upgrade, and not the printer hardware, because I have
a laptop that's still running 10.04LTS, and it has the old problems but
not the new ones.

    Jack> If you are doing 'across the internet' printing and are fairly
    Jack> 'light duty', the remote printer feature in Chrome works
    Jack> pretty well.

If you're talking about this
<http://www.reviewon.com/google-cloud-print-prints-documents-from-any-web-enabled-device.html>,
it looks like it doesn't work with linux yet.  So even if I could figure
out how to use it from Windows (at the moment I seem to be in an ugly
loop where I can't tell it where to print to), I'd have to keep Windows
booted, and that would be even more of a nuisance than using the 10.04
laptop to print.  But long term it might be a better solution than
depending on the Ubuntu community to test printing.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I gave Cuellar more chances than my first wife.

Hall of Fame Orioles manager Earl Weaver, after he stuck with lefty
Mike Cuellar way too long, finally pulling him out of the rotation
only to have Cuellar complain about losing his spot.