[Discuss] Webcam Woes

In addition to being on the board of BLU, I'm also on the board of Agile
New England, and I run the IS team.  I have a new team, and we're
starting to conference call on Skype regularly (until Microsoft breaks
the Linux client).  I have a webcam, but it's about 12 years old and has
no microphone.

I bought this one:
http://www.staples.com/Logitech-HD-Pro-Webcam-C910/product_886657
It's highly reviewed and has good resolution and stereo microphones.

It works perfectly in Skype, however I have another use case for it.  I
would like to also record video of meetings with it, and that's not
going so well.

I've tried a bunch of programs (cheese, luvcview, kamoso, etc) with
various failure modes.  Although all of them show the webcam output to
the screen perfectly, they all fail to capture the output to a file
correctly.  Some don't record anything at all or lock up, some record
one frame every 10 seconds or so, some record it super fast with out of
sync audio.  Luvcview comes the closest, with fast video that's mostly
green streaks.  It's just funny how they all show the content just fine
on the screen live.  The webcam built into my Dell Mini 10 netbook seems
to act the same way.  Needless to say both work fine under Windows.

Is there some fundamental thing I'm missing?

Are there any webcams with microphones you've had success with?

Thanks in advance.