How to: find high speed data access, non-retail.

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 6:04 PM,  <jkinz-+hffLmS/kj4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Also the group has determined that it should provide a semi-dark fiber
> installation and open the cable plant to any vendor who wishes to sell
> services directly to end users. Hopefully a group of aggressively
> competitive vendors will produce lower prices for services. ?The study
> group has been much influenced by the story of Burlington telecomm.
>
> http://www.burlingtontelecom.com/residential_services/bundles.htm

Just as a cautionary tale. A friend-of-a-friend used to work in
Vermont telecommunications told me Burlington Telecom has had a pretty
troubled journey, overpromising, underdelivering and questionable
behavior. The Burlington Free Press has it's own dedicated section:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/section/TOPICS0201/

I'd also heard of a project in Vermont that was trying to bring fiber
to the Eastern Central Vermont area. It's a pretty ambitious project,
coordinating 26 towns, and it took them years to get all the towns
onboard, more years to get funding. Their web site is
http://www.ecfiber.net/ Perhaps you'll find some helpful resources
there.

Good luck!

--