help desk software

I prefer to type in the technical details into a ticket rather than talking
to someone on the telephone and making them type it in and then having to
check it to see if it they typed what I said.  Analogous to going to the
bank and making a withdrawal at the ATM rather than having the teller type
it in on their computer and manually hand me the cash.  But if I'm asking
for something trivial I'd prefer to just pick up the phone.

At one company, I customized the help desk application so that it could be
used by the call center to track shareholder issues.  This only required
adding a few fields for their account number, etc.  We also had the concept
that everyone had multiple roles, and could initiate a ticket in one case
and respond to a ticket in another.

At another smallish company we had to attend mandatory "diversity
training".  The presenter got really angry at all the pagers going off, even
after she asked folks to turn them off.  Finally she was told that they were
the help desk staff and each page represented a ticket or a phone call that
they were required to at least look at the summary or phone number.

--Randy