display question

ben wrote:
>On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:48:32AM -0400, dan moylan wrote:
>>
>> when some user owns the gnome desktop, another user
>> opereating in a terminal window seems unable to open
>> an application that needs the display.  how does one
>> allow this?

> The easiest way to do this is to become the "other user" by running:
> ssh -X otheruser at localhost
> You can check that X forwarding is allowed by running:
> echo $DISPLAY
> As the otheruser in that terminal.  If DISPLAY is unset, then you'll need
> to edit the sshd_config file, set "X11Forwarding yes" and restart sshd.

  moylan ~[500] ssh -X moylan at localhost
  moylan at localhost's password:
  Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
  Welcome to Ubuntu 11.04 (GNU/Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686)

  moylan ~[499] xbuffy&
  moylan ~[500] Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid
  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid
  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: Can't open display: localhost:10.0

X11Forwarding was indeed set to yes.
DISPLAY was set to :0, but setting it to 10:0 didn't help

matt wrote:
> Okay, if you don't trust your firewall then you can run:
> xhost localhost instead.

  root ~[294] xhost localhost
  localhost being added to access control list
  moylan ~[500] xbuffy&
  moylan ~[501] No protocol specified
  Error: Can't open display: :0

trying as root xhost +moylan, and then xbuffy as moylan, i
got the magic cookie reply.

oh, well -- xhost + does the job just fine.

thanks,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan
84 harvard ave