Kernel source unavailable...

On May 4, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
>> Of Jarod Wilson
>>
>> If its running Android, perhaps Google more or less already takes care
>> of that?
>>
>> http://android.git.kernel.org/
>
> Am I missing something?  What I'm seeing here seems to be just the generic
> sources.

There are both generic and device-specific trees there, from what I
could see. Might be that somewhere in one of those trees, you'd
find some references to your specific device. But I really do not
know, thus the "perhaps" in my prior mail. :)

> AFAIK, it doesn't help me build the tun module, because I haven't
> got the .config file that was used in building the kernel in my phone.

That can occasionally be obtained from the running kernel, but I'd
guess that might have been trimmed for one reason or another (to
save on storage space or what have you). I know Red Hat distros put
their kernel config in /boot, right next to the kernel, and other
distros have it exposed via /proc/config.gz, iirc.

> Also ... Who's to say if LG shipped using an unmodified source tree?

Probably LG?

> It seems
> most documented cases out there involve the mfgr applying at least some
> patches...

Dunno. Again, that link shows trees for very specific devices, so it
may be that there aren't any hidden patches. But its certainly a
possibility some manufacturers are applying secret sauce to try to
give their phones an edge.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org