Speaking of on-line/cloud storage... Wuala

On Apr 25, 2011, at 5:45 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Do you know any more details about how they chunk the data and implement
> change detection?

Chunking is described in the Cryptree white paper I previously linked.  Or did I?  Hm.
http://www.disco.ethz.ch/publications/srds06.pdf

> "recovery code?" "secret question/answer?" This makes it sound like
> there is more than one way to generate the key. The actual registration
> form has a "password hint" field, which presumably applies to the
> password you entered. Which would suggest that while they can email you
> the hint, you still have to ultimately remember the original password.
> Which is as it should be. So I assume the terms are inaccurately worded.

The terms just avoid going into the deep technical details of encryption key generation and management.  Which I'm not going to even try to summarize here.  It's heavy math.

--Rich P.