Moving myself from root to non-root

After over 15 years of being root on Slackware at home, I've decided
that it is time to abandon both Slackware and being root 100% of the
time.  I've been using Fedora at work and on my laptops, but my
"mainframe" is where I have 15 years of dot files and dot directories to
deal with, not to mention files in /etc

I know some of them, such as .Xdefaults and .xinitrc will not make the
transition. Others, such as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, have a few things (
HorizSync and VertRefresh) that I carry along "just in case".

.cshrc, .login, .tcshrc, .bashrc, .bash_profile, .aliases, and a bunch
more will have to be merged.

/etc/hosts is also good, since I've been using fixed IP addresses
instead of letting the routers do DHCP and DNS.  At some point, I'll get
rid of the legacy equipment that can't reliably server DHCP and DNS.

I'm most interested in Firefox 4 and Thunderbird 3.  I'm using POP in
Thunderbird, so sendmail, postfix, or another MTA is not necessary.  I
looked through my /root directory for subdirectories called root, here
is what came up:
./.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/root
./.mozilla/root

I think .mozilla/root is from an earlier version (last file is in 2007),
and .wine I'll recreate when I need it.

I'm sure there will be some gotchas, anyone know of anything I'm forgetting?
--
	Jerry Natowitz
	j.natowitz (at) rcn.com