SpiderOak Woes

On Apr 12, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Gordon Marx wrote:

> Uh huh. So what you're saying is, doing it wrong will screw you over.

For certain values of "wrong".  I would say that using any kind of "cloud" storage -- that is, storage pools that you or your organization do not control -- for confidential or sensitive information is wrong.  The concept is flawed at the foundation.

To follow your analogy, it isn't a matter of giving your house keys to someone and they can get in.  It's living in a tent on the Common and locking your valuables in a strong box.  A thief may not be able to open the box, but if he takes the box (i.e., denial of service attack) then you can't open it, either.

But then, this has always been the bugaboo about client-server computing.

--Rich P.