ebooks and pdf?

Speaking of breaking DRM for ebooks... anyone have any tips?  I'm adamant
about buying only ebooks from now on.  The problem is that very few
publishers provide their books in a DRM free format.  O'Reilly is
one notable exception.  I won't be pirating my books, but I don't like the
idea of being tied to one device or company (The kindle for example, or BN &
their crappy nook).  I want PDF portability.

Any suggestions?