Linux-ish Laptop Question

That's pretty nice.  Normally you can't buy the parts, or they come from a
3rd party.  I had a warped MBP that was otherwise functional, and the
chassis was priced at $450 for the bottom half and $300 for the top half.
Very near the original purchase price of the laptop (not counting the
applecare cost).  Still in warranty, Apple refused to replace the parts, and
invalidated the applecare so I couldn't even call in about or replace other
parts that were unrelated to the warping.  (There's the disadvantage of no
accident coverage again.)

Better get a Y0 trilobe too.  The magic screwdrivers for MBP's are Torx T5.5
and Y0 trilobe.  Since you generally can't find a T5.5 very easily - You can
just get a T5 and a T6 and for any given screw, one or the other of those
bits will work.  The trilobe is a tougher candidate though.  There's pretty
much nothing you can use in place of a genuine Y0.  It's also a surprise new
addition - The batch of MBP's I bought in December are the same description
as previous models, and look and feel exactly the same on the outside.  But
I take one apart, and Surprise!  Y0 trilobe new screw type.  Oyy...