Android Tablet

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
> Of Hsuan-Yeh Chang
>
> 1. Bandwidth/OS size:  Current implementation of network booting is
> normally
> done under Gigabit Ethernet.  While Gigabit Internet may take several
years
> arrive, it appears that 4G wireless WAN, with  a few hundred Mbps, isn't
too
> far
> away.  (Am I correct with the numbers?)  Win7 is basically a slim down
from
> Win

There are lots of ways for remote desktop to virtual machines, even with GUI
offload engines so the network latency, at least for certain types of
things, is not an issue.  They work pretty well for typical types of stuff -
browsing the web, writing word docs, checking email etc.  Not so good for
video, and video games etc.

If you're going to do much volume, I'm sure you can work out a license
agreement with MS or Ubuntu or whoever as necessary.

Lots of ways to do remote virtual desktop, but I'll suggest looking at one
of them to start with, because I'm familiar with them:  panologic.com  They
have a soupcan-sized blackbox that's just a remote desktop terminal to some
VM you've got in your infrastructure somewhere.

If you're going to do much volume, I'm sure you could work out some way to
put that into a netbook-style device instead of a blackbox with keyboard &
monitor.