Android Tablet

While Edward Ned Harvey and Richard Pieri were disagreeing I was doing a
little experimenting. Certainly, Android is essentially an embedded box
with a userland that is both limited and strange, but I can do things.

Though T-Mobile blocks port 2222 (and probably everything else), I can
fire up quicksshd to listen on 2222, then use connectbot to ssh out with
a reverse tunnel of 2222. Now an "ssh -p 2222 localhost" on my external
machine gets me in.

Or, do a tether (USB or Wifi) and I can ssh to the phone's current
T-Mobile address and not worry about any tunnels.

Make a bunch of busybox symbolic links in the
/data/data/com.teslacoilsw.quicksshd/dropbear directory (which is on the
path) and it starts to be almost useful.

- - = = - -

As for tablets replacing notebooks, I remember once seeing an old thing
about how electric lighting was getting to be old-hat, and soon people
will have a household electric motor! That could be used for *lots* of
cool stuff. (Really!)

We don't have general purpose household motors, motors have disappeared
inside many appliances. (Even inside my Android phone: a little
mis-weighted motor is the vibrator.) Certainly, general purpose electric
motors have not disappeared from our homes, but they are now on the
workbench in the basement, mostly in the form we call a "drill". Big
Kitchenaid mixers still have a PTO ("power take-off", any farm kids on
the list?) to take advantage of that powerful motor, but mostly people
don't really use it.

Reminds me of the idea that someday people will have home computers.
("Yeah, sure, tell me all about it. I suppose you are going to keep
recipes on it and calculate ingredient lists for custom batches. Get
ready to measure 0.73 eggs!")

Home computers came, and now they are disappearing into appliances.
Sure, some of these appliances will still take advantage of the
flexibility of computers and be programmable, but it looks like the
"programmable" will be limited to things like app stores. They are still
appliances.

Soon, if you want a general purpose computer, you will have to buy a
specialty item. You BLU people started out weird for being interested in
computers, and you will finish weird for being interested in computers.
Your dalliance with the mainstream was a fluke, normal people have no
more interest in computers than they do in electric motors. (In a few
years it will make perfect sense to reanimate The Boston Computer Society.)

If you start hacking your appliances to harness the computer you will
void warranties as fast as you would if you started dismantling your
dishwasher to harness the motor. Kind of sad because computers are so
flexible, but it makes sense.

-kb