How do hard drives handle bad blocks nowadays?

I administered Unix systems for a while in the late 1980s.  I remember
that when I had to configure SCSI disks I first had to run a surface
scan to verify that all blocks on the disk were both readable and
writable.  I'd then have to edit into the disk's bad block list any bad
blocks encountered, so it could replace them with blocks in the spare
track.  The tool I used for this was provided either by Sun or by the
disk manufacturer.

It's now two decades later, and I'm trying to understand what's changed
since then.  In particular I recently cloned a laptop drive (IDE) to a
new drive.  When I did so, I encountered 2 bad blocks on the new drive.
Based on my recollection from the late 1980s, I didn't think 2 bad
blocks was a big deal because I assumed I could manually enter their
addresses into the bad block list and they'd be replaced by spare
blocks.  But I haven't managed to find a tool to allow me to examine
and/or edit the bad block list.

After doing some web searches and a bit of reading on this, I get the
impression that nowadays all modern drives implement S.M.A.R.T.
(Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) and that using
S.M.A.R.T. they all handle this behind the scenes.  If that's true, then
presumably the only time I should ever see a disk report a bad block is
when there are no more spare blocks left.  Am I right about that?

If so, then the fact that I encountered write errors on two blocks on
the drive suggests that the brand new drive was in pretty bad shape to
begin with.

Is there some tool that will allow me to examine the disk's bad block list?

Also, should I use 'dd' to test all blocks before I put a drive into
service, or is there a better tool out there?

    Mark Rosenthal
    <mbr-rRLCkWC8vypBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org <mailto:mbr-rRLCkWC8vypBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>>

[plaintext with.]