scanner flaking out

On 03/11/2011 11:31 AM, Laura Conrad wrote:
> Recently, when I scan, I'm often missing a piece of the page.  I notice=

> that this happens when the disk drive is also busy doing something else=
,
> like a backup.
>
> I don't remember this happening until the last couple of weeks.  Do you=

> think:
>
>         My scanner is dying
>
>         My disk drive is dying
>
>         I'm just scanning and/or backing up more often
>
> I'm most concerned about the second possibility -- I would want to do
> something about the drive before it died.  If the scanner died, I could=

> usually either wait or convince someone else to do it for me.

Laura, I advise you to get a new disk drive ASAP. SATA drives are
relatively inexpensive. But, if both are causing troubles, it could
possibly be your mother board. In any case, make sure you have a good
backup of your data whether a local backup to media or an online backup
to one of the online backup sites that have been discussed here. I knew
one of my drives was going bad a few years ago, and I failed to replace
it before it failed, and it cost me some $$ to do a recovery.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846