Abusive contracts

If the terms are something you can live with, then sign.
If you can't live with them, then don't or work to change the terms.

Currently we don't currently allow indentured servitude, but some
contracts turn it into that.

People have told me that some of the more onerous clauses are
not legal, but if you agree to them, you can still be held to them
if your potential employer is very litigious.

My only suggestion is to beware, and be prepared to live up to your
contract in full, even if it seems unreasonably onerous.

Your only real chance to change the terms are before you sign on the line.