Abusive contracts

Has anyone noticed that contracts are becoming really mean spirited
lately? I mean, seriously, some of the ones that I've looked at are just
ridiculous.

How's this clause:

" The Consultant acknowledges and agrees that any such breach or
threatened breach will cause irreparable injury to the Company and that
money damages will not provide an adequate remedy to the Company."

I mean, jeez, in civil law, money damages ARE the remedy!

That on top of 5 years confidentiality, 2 years non-compete, all for a
few hours part time work? A 6 page NDA and at a low rate because they
are on a shoe string budget?  Are you kidding me? I know a word and a
handshake is old fashioned, but why does every dime store lawyer feel
the need to write these faustian contracts? Especially when there is so
little gain?

Just my little Charlie Sheen for day. The software industry in the last
few years has become really awful.