Ubuntu CPU scaling ignoring me more than my daughter does

'm trying to set the CPU speed to "full blast" on my 10.04 system, but
it keeps degrading to slower speeds.  I read up and stopped the ondemand
service which is what I thought was changing it, but it still changes on
me.

I'm using "cpufreq-selector -c 0 -g performance -f 2000000 ;
cpufreq-selector -c 1 -g performance -f 2000000" which seems to work,
but after a short time it goes back down to 1.3 or some other
embarrassing speed.  I also see a process kondemand running, but I
thought stopping the ondemand service would stop that.

What else can I try?

Thanks.