NAS and media server

On 03/05/2011 02:28 PM, Rob Hasselbaum wrote:
> Any recommendations for a good (preferably Linux-based) NAS and media s=
erver
> box for a home network? At a minimum, it has got to be able to do autom=
atic
> backups of machines on the network, both Linux (rsync or sftp) and Wind=
ows
> clients. Big plus if it can also serve media to an Xbox 360.
>
> I have a beige box running BackupPC that has been working great for yea=
rs,
> but I think the hardware is on its last legs. Plus it's slow.
At work we bought a NetGear ReadyNAS 3100. It works very well. No
complaints. We use it as an NFS server, but that is overkill. I'm
currently simply backing up to a second drive, but the issue there is a
power glitch could render it unusable at the same time as the primary
drive.

We also have a WDC MyBook II at work. This has proven to be very
reliable but it is very slow. I use rsnapshot as my backup system since
both the MyBook II and the ReadyNAS run Linux and support ssh. The
MyBook series is very inexpensive as some people buy them just for the
drives.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846